History and Grounds
The school was founded at Stroud House, Grayswood, Surrey in 1926. In 1946 it moved to Zeals House, Mere, Wiltshire, and finally settled in 1953 in our attractive rural setting in Hampshire near to Winchester, Southampton and Salisbury. Hampshire. Highwood House is a beautiful red brick building constructed in 1850 by Captain Suckling (related to Lord Nelson). The house stands in 20 acres of grounds which include playing fields, a heated swimming pool, tennis courts, an all weather riding arena, stables, woodland, a narrow river, a natural pond and gardens.
The Andrew Sanger-Davies Multi-Purpose Hall includes a full size sports hall, large viewing gallery, changing rooms, staging and lighting. A high standard of specification has been used throughout; it is used extensively for sport, drama, assemblies and community opportunities. In 2007 the Elizabeth Sanger-Davies Early Years Building opened. It contains four classrooms, large shared area, cloakrooms and specifically designed outside area for the education of young children aged 2 years nine months – 5 years.
Within the house itself is a well stocked fiction and reference library, an extensive Science laboratory and an Information Technology room. External buildings include individual cookery, art, technology and music rooms. Within the grounds is our Millennium conservation area including two ponds with dipping platforms and timber walkways over marshy areas giving children the chance to study the natural environment at first hand.